FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11TH & SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12TH (7 PM NST)
Newfoundland Growlers vs. Reading Royals
WATCH: Rogers TV, ECHL TV LISTEN: mixlr.com/nlgrowlers
The defending Kelly Cup Champion Newfoundland Growlers kick off their 2019-2020 season Friday and Saturday night for Molson Opening Weekend against the Reading Royals, ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers. The 2019 Kelly Cup Championship banner will be raised to the rafters of Mile One Centre prior to puck drop Friday night, and on Saturday night each fan in attendance will receive a replica mini championship banner.
The Growlers and Royals are North Division rivals and squared off 11 times last season, with the Growlers sporting a 7-4 record.
Scott Pooley had a pair of goals as the Newfoundland Growlers tamed the Brampton Beast 5-4 Saturday evening at the Earnscliffe Arena to sweep the two-game preseason series. Matt Bradley, Colt Conrad and Justin Brazeau also tallied for the Growlers. Giorgio Estephan chipped in with a pair of assists. Nathan Todd scored a pair for the Beast, while Christopher Clapperton and Matt McLeod each scored once. Patrick Munson started between the pipes for the Growlers and made 15 saves on 17 shots, and was replaced by Ian Milosz, who turned aside 13 shots halfway through the game. Alex Dubeau played the entire game for Brampton and allowed five goals on 26 shots.
- Scott Pooley had three goals in two preseason games and has led the Growlers in preseason scoring in back-to-back seasons
- Tommy Panico was a team-leading +5 in the preseason
- Zach O’Brien recorded 12 points in six games against Reading last season
- Trevor Gooch and Matthew Gaudreau led the Royals with three points in a two-game preseason series against the Adirondack Thunder
- Garrett Mitchell has skated in 400 AHL games and served three seasons as captain of the Hershey Bears
- Steven Swavely has 98 points in 105 ECHL games
March 23rd – 3-2 Newfoundland Growlers (SO)
Garrett Johnston netted the shootout winner in the 12th round as the Newfoundland Growlers edged the Reading Royals 3-2 Saturday night at the Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania. Marcus Power and Brady Ferguson scored for the Growlers in regulation time. Eamon McAdam was excellent between the pipes for Newfoundland making 42 saves along with stopping 11-of-12 shootout attempts.